Take a Look

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Broccoli Cheese Soup





Something easy. Something cheesy.  I don't care that we're in the middle of a heatwave...  I just want some broccoli cheese soup.  Now, I have tried many variations of this recipe in the past, and this is the best by far.  One of my very best friends gave me the base recipe and I just added a few more things.  Here is the base recipe:

*  one bag frozen broccoli florets 14 oz
*  6-8 slices of american cheese
*  one cup water
*  one cup milk
*  salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste.

So, basically you put one cup water in with the broccoli in a soup pot.  Get it to boil, then turn the burner to medium and cover with a lid.  Cook for 15-20 minutes.  The broccoli needs to be soft... but not too soft. When the broccoli is soft you want to take your potato masher and mash mash mash mash...  just about 4 or 5 mashes. While soup is still on the stove, add one slice of cheese at a time and stir in each.  When all of the cheese is stirred in, add the milk and seasonings. stir and let it heat back up...  like 5 minutes.  And there you go.  Easy cheesy!  So, I took that basic recipe and added diced onion and cooked that with the broccoli, chunked potatoes boiled for 20 minutes in a separate pot then added to the soup with the cheese, and one packet of chicken seasoning from a ramen noodle pack.  I used a bit of shredded cheddar for garnish.  I have so much fun adding to and taking from a base recipe like this...  Next time I'm thinking about topping it with a dollop of sour cream and maybe some bacon.

No comments: